[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - New TAG Owner

New TAG Owner

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

New TAG Owner

Postby dsintprs » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Hello Maggie,
I just purchased my first African Grey (Timneh). He is 6 weeks old and being handfed 30cc's 4 times a day. He weighs 365g as of today. He's been to the vet for a checkup and everything looks good. He's also been DNA tested and is definitely a male. We've named him Jack, since he sometimes looks like he's sleeping with one eye open. Last night he perched for the first time!
My question is, in addition to his formula, can he also begin to eat other things? He seemed interested in my scrambled eggs and I let him nibble on them but it seemed more like he was just playing with them in his mouth. I've also scattered some small pellets for him to eat but he seems more interested in eating his own poop. If I don't get to it and clean it up immediately he'll eat it. Is there anyway I can get him to stop?

Love the site,
Deanna
dsintprs

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:10 pm

First, I do not mean to harp on you....but 6 weeks is MUCH too young for him to be with you. Shame on the breeder. Many things could go wrong and you are a novice. Also, their confidence and certain skills are developed at this time....and he needs to be with a breeder who helps him develop socialization skills.

To answer your question: yes. In addition to the formula, you need to start introducing other foods to him. He may play with them, but will eat some too. You need to spend lots of time with him and sit beside his cage to eat some of the other foods, like the scrambled eggs...to teach him it is food and should be eaten. If they don't KNOW something is food, they will not eat them. You can also do that same strategy for slowly introducing foot toys and so on.

The issue about the poop: change the paper often.

Working with a baby that young is very important. I suggest that you find a breeder who will talk to you often to give you ideas for the early socialization. I also suggest that you get my book, which will answer a lot of questions. I applaud you for joining this board and ask you to please ask as many questions as you can. Again, I don't mean to be nasty to you about the young age, but I've witnessed a lot who have died because they were taken home too early. Good breeders do NOT allow their babies to leave the nest that early.

Again, ask as much as you need to. You and Jack are welcome to this board. Looking forward to hearing from you often.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-

PS: WOW! That first perch step must have been cool to watch!!!

Jack

Postby dsintprs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:20 am

Yes, I do understand that it is very difficult handfeeding a baby. When I first brought him home 3 weeks ago I was a little overwhelmed. (We bought him at a bird show, which I have heard is not the best place to purchase a bird and also explains why he was sold to me before he was weaned.) I did not have any difficulties hand feeding my cockatiels and have to admit that when I began feeding Jack I was a little apprehensive because of his size. My tiels were so much smaller. Now that I have been feeding him for over 3 weeks, I have gotten much more comfortable with it. Plus, Jack is just so laid back compared to my cockatiels. They were so demanding and Jack is just so calm and cool. I have been reading the book, For The Love of Greys and I have learned a great deal about letting Jack form bonds with other family members. Jack also comes to work with me--(I am a teacher and we are out for the summer, but I work in the front office to prepare for next year) It's a very casual, calm environment with just 5 of us working and Jack. Jack seems to enjoy the attention and visiting with the principal.
My husband and I eat very healthy since I've been diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. We follow the South Beach Diet which is no sugar or white or enriched flour. All of our pasta and breads are 100% whole wheat. Only fresh fruits and vegetables--no canned. Our tiels eat what we eat along with Harrison's pellets. I recently purchased a sprouting kit, which I have been reading is also what I need to be feeding the birds. I guess one of my main questions would be what percent of a grey's diet is pellets, what percent is fruits & vegetables and what percent is other things like sprouts, seed, nuts etc.?

Thank you for your help,
Deanna[/u]
dsintprs

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Deanna,

Moderation is key. Pellets should represent no more than about 20-30% of the diet. 30% vegetables; 15% grains/beans; 10% fruits; 15% seeds/nuts.

My book may help you too: African Grey Parrots: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual. You can get it on this site or on Amazon. I'm not recommending it because I wrote it....but because it includes all of the "learnings from my mistakes!" LOL. It also is well researched. It has a whole chapter dedicated to balanced nutrition.

I'm so glad to hear the you and Jack are doing well with the feedings.
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions