CAG and outside temperatures

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Postby scubasoul » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:25 pm

Hello Maggie,

It has been a while ... Sally, my CAG, is almost 2 years old now and generally "happy as a clam". Still, since I work full time, her vet suggested to get her a cage for the (screened) patio and leave her outside for a few hours during the day. It will keep her occupied to watch the wild life out there. While she is now getting used to this "new thing" that is sitting on her patio, I wonder if I can leave her out there when the temperatures drop. We live near Orlando, FL and although temperatures are in the mid 70's right now, they can drop down into the mid 60's on a cloudy day or even cooler in a month or so. Out there she will not be exposed to direct sunlight. What temperatures are acceptable for Sally so that she still feels comfortable??

Thanks,
Elke
scubasoul

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 am

Our birds can handle temperatures as we can. The only thing is that they need to be acclimated to extreme changes, the same as us.

My question is about your leaving her alone on the porch all day. I know it is screened and she will be in a cage, but you don't know how methodical a wild predator could be if they wanted to get in. For example, one of my GPR subscribers lost her Grey because she left him in a cage in the garage to play. A racoon came in the garage and killed the bird. When our birds get terrified, they flail in the cage. A smart predator waits till they flail to the "right" side of the cage...grab & kill.

Instead, I suggest that you let your baby hang out there in the cage ONLY when you are around and supervising.

Maggie-

Postby scubasoul » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:25 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, Maggie. I forgot to mention that I do live on the 3rd floor where Sally would be protected from predators such as racoons.

As far as the temperatures are concerned, can I tell if Sally would be too cold? Would she just simply shiver like we do?? Or can I measure by my feel for the temperature? Meaning that if I feel uncomfortable, it will be too chilli for her as well?

Thanks again,
Elke
scubasoul

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 pm

Measure by yoursel, how you react.....do not allow her out in temperatures below 55 degrees. The key is to help them become acclimated to colder temps before leaving them out for long periods in those temps. A short time one day...then increase a little..a little more and so on.
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions