[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - picking/scratching

picking/scratching

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

picking/scratching

Postby rena » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:57 am

hello, my african gray...is 14months ...she just started picking her feathers around her neck!! we were remodeling the kitchen,wher she stays perch/family room...well i took her up stairs to my room, where she does sleep every night..well she started scratching her hed and shakes her head alot i noticed...she is very spolied with one of us at all times.eats well,variety of diet , i am so puzzled, she pulls her teathers out like she is mad .help i will take her to vet,however i have heard different stories about the ways which they want to treat them.. any advice?
rena

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:05 am

Please take her to the vet first.....as many feather picking issues stem from something physical. The vet will do a battery of different tests....make sure there is no giardia problem or any kind of infection and so on.

I'm not sure what you mean by your statement about hearing things. Sometimes vets like to pull out feathers when there is a problem with the follicles and so on. Honestly, that is more like trying to pull a finger nail off of a human. It is very painful and has made some Greys turn phobic. So, if that is ever suggested to you.....think long and hard before agreeing to it. Is that what you were referring to?

Anyway, if the problem is not physical, you will need to think back to when it started and try to rectify the situation. It may be that the remodeling made her nervous and caued her to start picking. If she continues and the vet sees nothing wrong physically, my first suggestion would be to give her a spoon full or two of pureed food (sweet potato, butternut squash or baby food) every few days at night. This can help her feel more secure and possibly let go of the picking.

When she picks, do NOT react. Do not say anything. But you can leavce the room...and reward/praise when she is NOT picking.

Keep me posted,
Maggie-

PICKING

Postby RENA » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:24 pm

HELLO THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE,

WE WILL GO TO THE VET TODAY IF WE CAN GET IN,

I WAS REFERING TO THE VET ALSO WANTING TO PUT THE BIRD TO SLEEP,TAKING ALL KINDS OF TESTS WHEN THEY REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES PICKING THEY CAN ONLY GUESS AND SUGGEST..

IT ALL STARTED 2-DAYS AGO, WHEN SHE WANTED TO GO DOWN STAIRS WHERE THE CONSTRUCTION WAS GOING ON, SHE PULLS AND THEN LOOKS RIGHT AT ME, MY WHOLE FAMILY NOTICES IT(HER LOOKING AT ME SO I DO NOT REACT) ,HOWEVER IT IS KILLING ME TO SEE HER DO THIS! I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE SHAKING OF HER HEAD,WELL
WE WILL LET YOU KNOW HEADED TO THE VET.

THANKS RENA
RENA

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:21 pm

To Rena & anyone else reading this post,

Do NOT ever agree to letting a vet put your bird under anesthesia unless it is for a major reason and emergency. TOO many have actually died from the stress of being put under. Others have turned phobic. PLEASE re-think before ever agreeing to something like that. Rena, I am glad you are very wise to this issue.

It sounds like the construction has terrified your baby. You now have to help her feel secure again. I suggest that you give her a few (one or two) spoon fulls of pureed foods at night....butternut squash, sweet potato and so on. This can help her feel more secure. Remind her you love her and everything is alright. Avoid as many stress situations as possible.

Please keep me posted,
Mag-

BAILEY

Postby RENA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:48 pm

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED..GOING TO THE VET TODAY OVER HEAD SHACKING/SCRATCHING....

THANKS RENA
RENA

bailey

Postby rena » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:05 am

Hello,
went to vet ...she took blood/however she could not get enough blood so she wanted to wait 1 hour for bailey to calm down,to try again...what ever she did not have any skin irrations,mites etc. she told me bacially what i said the remolding made her nervious, keep her way to long, told me to put her on pellets /fruit veggies,only...do not agree!

then said she could only get 3 viles of blood needed 4 could i come back?
needless to say i said NO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH LET ME KNOW WHAT THE CLAMIDIA (SPELLING COULD BE OFF) . TESTS RESULTS ARE...
Well there ya go when i got Bailey back she ran to me and said WANNA GIVE ME A KISS!

THANKS RENA
rena

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:27 am

:shock: she went in at 11:00 am did not get her back until 3:00 only because i said i was taking her home, they have the blood for the import tests she needed

i will watch her and do what is needed for her, by the way this vet was highly recomended...oh yes the head shaking she had no idea what it was.

let you know when we get the tests back. :D

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:00 pm

Rena,

Greys do head shaking. Sometimes the cause is as simple as a feather in the ear....or a vibration in the air that we do not hear....or it could be from many other things. My guys have done LOTS of head shaking over the years......nothing was ever wrong with them.

That sounds like a lot of blood. I'm GLAD you got this baby home. WE are the ones who must protect our babies. WE are the ones to whom God has given "dominion and stewardship" over our animals to make sure they have healthy and happy lives. Remember that and do not question it. If a vet technique appears inappropriate, act on your feelings and get out of there.

Please keep us posted,
Maggie-

bailey

Postby rena » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:31 pm

AMEN! TO THAT MAGGIE SHE IS HOME AND JUST FINE THANKS AGAIN,
RENA :D
rena

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:00 am

SUPER!!!
Mag-

Return to Grey Questions