[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - BENNIE

BENNIE

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

BENNIE

Postby BOBBI » Mon May 29, 2006 2:18 pm

HI MAGGIE, I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS,WE ARE GOING TO TENNESSEE FOR 4 DAYS IN THE MOUNTAINS. SHOULD WE TAKE BENNIE WITH US OR HAVE SOMEONE STAY AT THE HOUSE WITH HIM.WOULD HE BE OKAY. ALSO IS THERE SOMETHING OUT THERE FOR PARROTS TO CARRY THEM IN.RIGHT NOW I USE A CAT CARRIER TO TAKE HIM BACK AND FORTH TO THE VET.I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TAKE HIM WITH US WHEN WE GO FOR A WALK OR FOR A CAR RIDE BUT I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO BE THE MOST COMFORTABLE FOR HIM. BENNIE IS NOW 18 MONTHS OLD AND NOT TALKING I THINK I HAVE HEARD THE ODD HELLO OR COME ON IT CONCERNS MY HUSBAND. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
BOBBI

Postby Guest » Mon May 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi Bobbi,

First, if Bennie is not talking a lot, it may mean that he gets his needs met without having to talk. There are some quiet Greys.....so it is possible that Bennie won't talk a lot. But that does not make him any less special. Please go into our Helpful Hints section and see if there are some talking tips that can help you. Everytime you give him a certain treat, say "Want apple" or whatever it is. Or when you take him off the cage, say the same phrase every time. Perhaps he will learn it and start to use it as a command. Many times, once they see there is "power" behind a phrase....ie...that they get something accomplished, they may start using the phrase.

There are small cage carriers in the marketplace. I would google "bird carriers" or "small bird cages" and see what you get. Bird Talk also does research on that every year. Look on their web site. I have old Bird Motel products, but they are not made anymore.

Now, the issue of travel. Whichever you decide to do, you have to prepare Bennie first. If you leave him at home, you will have to introduce him to the sitter and make sure he is comfortable with that person. Take him over there a few afternoons before you leave... or get the sitter to come over and spend time alone with him while you are still in town. Even do a night run practice where you leave him overnight while still in town and come get him the next day. This will show him that you DO and will come back. Another thing that helps when you go away is to frequently call in and speak to Bennie through the telephone. Tell him you miss him and will be back.

Now, if you decide to take him, you need to get him used to travel first. Get that carrier you like for him first. Then take him on car rides so he is used to it. Please read the travel hints in the Helpful Hints section and then ask me specific questions. Are you going by car to the mountains? Will you be able to spend a lot of time with him there? It can be scary for a bird to be out of his territory without a feeling of security from his humans. My Merlin LOVED it, but I was constantly with her. We have been to 11 states and to Europe together.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-

Postby sidney » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 pm

I went to general dollar and bought a see through plastic tub with a locking lid and handle on top (look for the locks that flap over lid) they have all sizes for 4 dollars, its hard plastic, washable, and cant chew thru,(my quaker chewed through the best of the store bought ones) see through and cheap! I got my husbands electric drill, found a bit the size of a quarter and drilled holes around the top lip so air can come in, no wind can blow on him and litter cant fall out. Oh i also fasten toys to the side.ITS PERFECT! my birds love it. My vet really loved it. They are very heavy duty so if an accident happened the bird would not get crushed. also come in all sizes. Tell me what you think
sidney

Postby sidney » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 pm

I went to general dollar and bought a see through plastic tub with a locking lid and handle on top (look for the locks that flap over lid) they have all sizes for 4 dollars, its hard plastic, washable, and cant chew thru,(my quaker chewed through the best of the store bought ones) see through and cheap! I got my husbands electric drill, found a bit the size of a quarter and drilled holes around the top lip so air can come in, no wind can blow on him and litter cant fall out. Oh i also fasten toys to the side.ITS PERFECT! my birds love it. My vet really loved it. They are very heavy duty so if an accident happened the bird would not get crushed. also come in all sizes. Tell me what you think
sidney

Postby Maggie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:42 pm

It sounds cool! Just make sure it is well ventilated and he will not get too hot in there. That is one thing I dislike about the lucite carriers. Greys have so much feather dust that they may get stuck breathing their own dust in poorly ventilated cages and carriers. In the wild, they do not have to....so I believe in captivity, the dust breathing needs to be kept to a minimum too.

But what matters most is that your birds love it and the vet approves!

Maggie-
Maggie

Postby sidney » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:56 pm

the holes are about 2 inches around, SOLID all around the lid, and the top of lid. It gets lots of air. what worried me was too much air, cause i have a new baby and i was afraid it was gonna get too much air from air conditioner from car. I live in texas and when we first get in call it blows alot, i just make sure it is the right temp when we get in.
sidney

Postby Maggie- » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Brilliant! Have a GREY'T trip!
Mag-
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions