[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - in love with the vaccuum cleaner

in love with the vaccuum cleaner

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

in love with the vaccuum cleaner

Postby Lucysmom » Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 pm

We have a small "dustbuster" type vaccuum cleaner that was on our kitchen floor this morning. Lucy climbed out of her cage & walked over to it, & was chattering to it, & trying very hard to interact with it. It was so funny- she was that way for almost 1/2 hr. I suppose it's almost parrot shaped, & the part that vaccuums is grey. Do you think it was sexual or was she just trying to make friends? She did not spread her wings or regurgitate that I could see. (Lucy's almost 2 1/2).
Lucysmom

Postby Guest » Fri May 26, 2006 5:12 pm

Greys are not sexually mature until ages 4-6 years old.....but they can "play" at it as we did as children. I think it is a wonderful story.....and aren't you lucky that she isn't afraid of vacuums! They are one of our best friends!!! (for cleaning)

GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie-

vaccuum cleaner

Postby Lucysmom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:01 am

It's really interesting that she's not afraid of even the big vaccuum cleaner- in fact, when we vaccuum, she starts vocalizing like she's singing along! She's afraid of the strangest things- like a small broomlike object I got at a craft store for her to preen- she growls at it, but when I sweep the floor with the big broom, she tries to grab the handle in her beak-I think she thinks I'm playing with it. A funny story- I'm getting over a cold, & the other day I blew my nose really loud, & Lucy responded by making the noise of the garbage disposer! She was slow to start talking, but now is picking up sounds & words constantly, so to your other members who have babies, just be patient & talk to them a lot.
Lucysmom

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:52 pm

She sounds FANTASTIC!!! She's not afraid of the vacuum and broom, I think because you introduced them correctly. They ALSO look like mom's toys. We ALWAYS want mom's toys!
Maggie-

Postby brittondeb » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:50 pm

I have other "grey" friends who say their birds like to take baths while the vacuum cleaner is running. One woman just puts a big water dish in her grey's cage before she starts vacuuming, because she knows her bird will dive right in as soon as the vacuum starts.
Charlie likes to make noise along with the machine - he doesn't imitate it, but he whistles, whoops, and woooowoooowooooos while it's running.
Deb
brittondeb

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:37 pm

Guys,

Maybe the vacuum has a similar sound/energy to waterfalls in the rainforest. Perhaps this is an instinctive love/feeling that vacuums appear to be drumming up. What do ya think????
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions